With 85% of the ski area above 1,800m, les 3 Vallées guarantees optimal snow from start to finish of the season. Which means in April, as well as great weather, you’ll enjoy fabulous snow ! This is especially the case in the mornings; hence this itinerary is designed for a day starting with lots of skiing in the early part of the day, followed by a sunny lunch in a place where you can spend the rest of the afternoon sunbathing !
Méribel has the huge advantage of offering skiing on both sides of a valley, allowing you to ski in the sunshine all day long ! To make the most of this, as soon as the slopes open, head for the Tougnète sector, the first to receive the sun’s rays, gently warming the snow which, having firmed up overnight, has been softened by the grooming machines early in the morning. The result is velvet-soft snow which you can ski with complete ease ! The unmissable parts of this sector include :
- The Legends chairlift : remember to say “cheese” ! As you near the summit, your photo will be taken automatically. Then just collect your free photo from the terminal at the summit.
- The Cherferie chairlift which allows you to access the blue Choucas piste. This slope is a joy; its rolling slopes allow you to have huge fun.
- This sector is also home to this winter’s two new pistes : Gypaète and Daguet. The natural character of the slopes was retained when these pistes were created, offering you untamed slopes in varied and unequally untouched surroundings !
While you were enjoying this sector, the sun has made an appearance on the Saulire side of the valley. It’s now time to explore these long pistes with impressive vertical drops, such as Mauduit (red), or link together Biche (blue), Inuit (green), including a stop on its excellent fun zone, and finally Lapin (blue) through the fir trees. This itinerary will take you from the top of Saulire at 2,738m to the hamlet of Méribel Village at 1,400m altitude !
This time of day is also ideal for discovering some new pistes thanks to your 3 Vallées liftpass. Méribel enjoys a privileged position in the heart of the world’s largest ski area, allowing you to drop easily into the other valleys :
- Towards Courchevel via the summit of Saulire by taking Saulire Express 1 and 2,
- Towards Courchevel via Col de la Loze (2,304m) via Rhodos 1 and 2 gondolas, or Saulire Express 1, then the Loze chairlift which wends through the fir trees,
- Towards Saint-Martin-de-Belleville via Roc de Fer (Legends then Olympic chairlifts) or by Cherferie (Legends then Cherferie chairlifts),
- Towards Les Menuires by Tougnète 1 and 2 lifts,
- For a rapid access to Val Thorens, simply go via Méribel-Mottaret by taking Tougnète 1 and 2, Martre (blue), then the Chatelet and Côte Brune chairlifts.
Once you’ve completed this epic morning’s ski, it’s nearly 2pm and definitely time for lunch! But not just anywhere : choose somewhere sunny where you’ll love the food, have fun and can sunbathe ! This applies to Méribel & Courchevel’s Folie Douce, at the mid-station of the Saulire Express. The vast sun terrace is divided into a chic bistro-style restaurant and a snack area. At the start of the afternoon, everybody enjoys the exceptional show, and then the party starts with a DJ perched on a balcony and musicians playing and parading on the tables. An entertaining afternoon is guaranteed !